Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Homeade laundry soap

Has anyone ever made homeade laundry or dishwasher soap?  It's been on my to-do list for a long time, and I finally got around to it last week. Here is the link to the site I used.

http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html

I'm sure there are different variations out there, but I was happy with this recipe.  I also used her recipe for dishwasher detergent.  Because the two recipes use most of the same ingredients, what I did was cut each in half so that I could try them.  It still made so much that I won't need to buy or make more for months.  In addition to being economical, I like that you know exactly what is going into it and there are no fillers.  In fact, you only need to use 1-2 tablespoons, because there aren't any fillers.  The laundry soap doesn't have a strong scent, but it is pleasant smelling. I was using a hypoallergenic soap anyway, so I didn't really care about that.  You can still use scented fabric softeners. 

If you're like me, and have good intentions but think this might just be too much effort, trust me...it isn't!  The longest part was grating up the bar soap it calls for.  And that only took about 10 minutes.  Totally worth it.  If anyone tries it, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried it, but I have everything to try it. I just really like my tide and I'm skeptical to try anything else. I get 5 gal tide buckets for 29.99 and that not only last months, but it's at a price tag that I'm okay with.

    I am curious about the dishwasher detergent. I've found that cascade is the only one that actually works. I'd love an update and how well it works on your dishes!

    ReplyDelete